Next time that hot dogs and burgers hit your grill, you may want something to take this grilling classic to another level. A meaty and beanless sandwich chili is the perfect addition to this timeless summer entree. This Spanish inspired chili is filled with the smoky and full-bodied flavors of Spanish Chorizo, Ancho chili powder and spanish red wine. Throwing a party? This chili can serve a crowd! Make the night before your event, let cool, and refrigerate overnight. Transport in a cooler to your event. At the party, place in a heavy bottomed pot and reheat over your grill or burner. If you are just craving chili, this Spanish Chorizo chili is delicious in a bowl sprinkled with your favorite cheese.
Spanish Chorizo Chili
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups Spanish Chorizo chopped in small bite sized pieces (about 8 oz.)
2 cups chopped red onion
1/4 cup chopped garlic
1/4 cup chopped jalapeno pepper (with seeds)
3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoon Ancho chili powder
2 tablespoons cumin
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 1/2 pounds ground sirloin
2 cups Garnacha red wine
1 (28 ounce can) diced good quality canned tomatoes
1 (28 ounce can) crushed good quality canned tomatoes
2 tablespoons Grandma’s molasses
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon thyme
- Add the olive oil to the bottom of a large heavy bottomed pot. Over medium heat, add the red onions. Cook, stirring until the onions soften. Add the poblano pepper, carrot, garlic and jalapeno pepper. Cook stirring frequently for 5 minutes. Add the chili powders and cumin. Cook stirring frequently for 5 minutes.
- Add the ground sirloin. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the beef is incorporated with the vegetable and spice mixture and is no longer pink.
- Add the Garnacha and canned tomatoes. Stir. Add the molasses, oregano, salt and thyme. Stir.
- Lower the heat to simmer. Cook the chili 1 1/2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Remove chili from heat. Serve. Chili can be refrigerated and warmed the next day.
Recipe ©Sally James
Photography ©Taylor Mathis