Bratwurst and other sausages are staples on grills. Whether it is a noon, 3pm, or evening kickoff, there is really no wrong time for a bratwurst. After a few games of eating sausage sandwiches on their own, you may be wondering how you can add some color and flavor to this tailgating classic. The solution is to serve them with this sweet onion and red bell pepper jam! The jam will not only add great flavor to your sausage sandwich, but its bold red and orange color could complement your team’s color scheme! The jam can be made the day before, refrigerated over night and then brought to room temperature at your tailgate.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 5 cups yellow onions, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chicken stock
- In a large sauce pan melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Stir frequently and cook for 5 minutes. Add the sugar, vinegar and lemon juice. Cook, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes.
- Add the red bell pepper and cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat for 20 minutes. Add the chicken stock and cook , stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. Using an immersion blender, blend 1/3 of the onion pepper mixture. Stir jam to blend.
- Return jam to heat and cook over medium high heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove jam from heat. Let cool to room temperature. Refrigerate over night and transport in a cooler to your tailgate. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Recipe ©Sally James Mathis
Photography ©Taylor Mathis