A few weeks ago, I did a recap on my favorite drinks for Spring. Well here is another one to add to that list. Orangeade.
I have many fond memories of this sweet. refreshing, orange looking, and tasting liquid. Growing up there was a pharmacy called Wad’s that served a delicious Orangeade with grilled cheese or a hot dog. I remember spinning around on the stools to the bar waiting for this delicious drink. The problem with Orangeade is that you have to pace yourself. I could easily drink an entire cup in a few seconds, but then it is all gone. It isn’t easy, but when drinking Orangeade, I have to slow down and enjoy it. Wad’s is no longer there, but luckily Orangeade is still around.
Orangeade is very simple. All you need is water, sugar, and freshly squeezed orange juice. I also add a little bit of lemon juice for balance. That is all you need to create this delicious drink. It may be a little time consuming pressing the juice out of the oranges, but it is definitely worth it. Fresh squeezed orange juice is what makes this drink delicious, so DO NOT use the juice in a tube or carton. Squeeze you own. It will definitely be worth it.
The final result is a delicious refreshing Orange beverage that is perfect for any warm day or any outdoor entertaining you may do. When serving orangeade, it is best to serve it cold over ice. You can also make this into an adult cocktail by adding a little vodka. Whether it is for adults or kids, every guest will enjoy this delicious drink!
Classic Homemade Orangeade
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (6 oranges or so)
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- In a large pot over medium heat, dissolve one cup of sugar into one cup of water. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved, creating a simple syrup. Turn heat to low.
- Add 1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice (about 6 oranges) and lemon juice to the simple syrup. Stir.
- Add 3 cups water. Remove from heat and stir.
- Pour Orangeade into a serving container and keep refrigerated. Serve cold over ice.
© Taylor Mathis www.taylortakesataste.com